Getting an Alcohol License in Georgia



In order to sell, buy or distribute alcohol in Georgia, you must have a variety of licenses. For example, Georgia requires three types of licenses/permits to sell alcohol: a local alcohol license, a state alcohol license and a Federal Basic Permit. There are also many different types of licenses, such as Brewpub, Broker, Farm Winery, etc.

And it doesn’t stop there. There are also different types of alcohol, such as distilled spirits, fortified wine, hard cider, etc. Finding a right license for you can get a little confusing; luckily, there are lots of resources out there that can help simplify this matter.

Local Alcohol License

Be sure to check with your local authorities about the requirements needed for your local alcohol license because each jurisdiction could alter slightly from their neighbors.

If your business is in Atlanta, the Atlanta Police Department (APD) provides an informative fact sheet about the process of obtaining a license in the Atlanta area. They break it down into five steps, so make sure you don’t skip anything. They also list the fees needed. This number could vary depending on the type of establishment you own and the type of alcohol you’re selling.

State Alcohol License

Once you receive your local alcohol license, you can then start the process for your state license. The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) handles state alcohol licenses (and tobacco licenses). There are 4 different areas of alcohol licenses from DOR:

Federal Basic Permit

The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, a branch of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, administers and renews federal alcohol permits online. You can learn more about the application on their website. Also, some good news: there is no fee for this permit!